Tuesday

Unfortunate Cookies

I almost feel like giving up.  Except I know will be back in that kitchen first thing tomorrow morning.  I just don't understand it.  How hard can they be.  Fortune Cookies.

I have tried different consistencies, different oven temperatures, I have tried different cooking times and different ingredients.  I have tried double baking, whilst doing handstands and walking around with my eyes shut.

Well not quite.  Basically I have managed to get a batter that creates a great fortune cookie 'snap', colour and of course taste, but can't shape properly.  It seems to shape them, I must bring them out early, but then they never firm properly.  I feel slightly reassured that there have been very mixed reviews on the forums where I have got the recipes from, and I have come a LONG way since my first attempt yesterday.  That ended up in a a sort of macaroony yet almond less cakey crispness plastered to a baking sheet. Now they peel nicely off the sheet and have a great colour.  It is just the shaping that traumatises me.  After about baking about 20 cookies individually I actually managed to get one that looks the business.

Here it is, and until I improve (tomorrow hopefully) no one shall eat it.  It is a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment