Friday

My first attempt at making Hummingbird genius

Unsurprisingly, being me, I couldn't get the delicious black bottom hummingbird cupcakes out of my head, and I knew the recipe was lurking in my Hummingbird cookbook.  Off to the supermarket I went, buying heaps of cream cheese, and chocolate chips.  I was slightly daunted by the mix of cheesecake and sponge, as I haven't ever tried this in a cupcake before.  I became even more dubious when I made the sponge mixture.  It had no egg, and as I used the electric hand whisk to combine, it actually cemented the whisks together to a near standstill (well almost).  It was the most elasticy, sticky, chocolatey sponge I have ever seen.  

I dolloped the sponge into each cupcake case and the poured a tablespoon of a rather runny, very sweet cheesecake mixture ontop.  Before the cream cheese entered that mix...I wasn't sure the icing sugar and butter were going to actually going to incorporate, but the cheese cheese saved the day.  



I popped the cakes into the oven, wary about over cooking them.  The recipe warned they can easily become crumbly if overdone.  I left them in for an extra four mintues (after the recommended time the skewer came out very wet).  I think an extra three would have done it, as altough still moist I wanted them to be slightly gooier. 


Next for the cream cheese frosting.  The cream cheese could have been whisked for a slightly shorter time as I prefer my icing firmer.  I was trying t achieve a light fluffiness, but not near runniness.  My icing technique still needs work, but I love working with an icing bag, I find it really creative and can make a normal sponge look really impressive..yes I still have a way to go (!).  Watch this space.  I finished by dusting with the recommended cocoa powder. Yum



I cheekily tucked into one for breakfast the next day.  Ultimate indulgence.  I was pretty happy with the finished taste and texture.  Next time though, a minute or two less in the oven, and firmer icing.  Thanks Hummingbird,  even though my cupcakes aren't quite as good as yours yet, you're a pretty stiff competition!


1 comment:

  1. This has been humming behind my ears for some time now... yours look absolutely DELISH!

    which recipe did you finally used in this post?

    Thanks for sharing this happy baking session!

    ReplyDelete