Monday

Highness Cafe

Sunday was an amazingly beautiful day.  I happened to be in North London and fancied a stroll.  Having heard about the opening of Highness Cafe I decided to go and check it out for myself.

A 10 minute walk from Highbury and Islington station, across Highbury Fields finds you up at Highbury Barn.  Highness Cafe couldn't look out more at home.  Nestled in the increasingly foody bolthole affectionately known as the Barn, the cafe is neighbours with the famous La Fromagerie, and a branch of Meek and Wild Fishmongers, and the award winning butcher Godfrey's.   Not to mention a Deli, a family run restaurant and Mrs Lovell's greengrocer.

A window entices passers by with a good balance of flavours, including Fig and Chocolate, Peach and Coconut and Pear and Almond.  More traditional fare was also on offer, such as a slice of Bakewell tart or a friendly and familiar Nutella cake.

Highness cafe doesn't only do cake.  A deli bar and selection of homemade quiches are also available, however, as always it was the sweet section that I was interested in.  I stepped down into the cafe and was greeted by stripped back wooden floors and white walls.  I ordered a latte and a slice of Fig and Chocolate Cake.  I have to admit I gawped slightly at the price, it came it £6.75 but I suppose you always have to pay for quality.

A friendly waiter guided me upstairs to a mezzanine level.  Furnished with simultaneously mismatched yet coordinated wooden furniture - this raised level was a fun space to be in.  I ended up sitting at an old sewing machine table with light streaming in from the windows at the front and back of the shop.  There were a few eccentricities around the place that reminded me a little of the generic 'quirkiness' found in many rustic cake shops but I liked it.  It felt natural and airy.



More importantly the food was damn good.  My cake was bought up to my table, and I devoured it.  A moist sponge that was just the right side of light yet fudgey for a chocolate cake, and a fig topping which worked beautifully with the dark bittersweet sponge.  I real hit.  I also tried the Peach and Coconut Sponge which was  enjoyable.  The peach really came through but, except the coconut on top of the cake, I failed to find the flavour.  Still, it was lovely!



I met the baker herself downstairs.  I was impressed that she has single handedly made the entire spread, and wanted to make her a cup of tea, she must be exhausted.  And, in my opinion her exhaustion, and the slightly dear price of cake and coffee were both worth it.  I will definitely be going back.  I'd much rather eat a piece of cake that cost a little more and support a place where I love to sit and adore to eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment