Tuesday

Archipelagos

So my birthday surprise this year was a dinner out at Archipelagos, a restaurant I had had my eye on for a while now for its rumoured exotic and fun outlandish menu.  We arrived, the first for the evening sitting and had to give a 'password' for our table, which was "the smiling budda" if I remember correctly.

Our menus were presented a scrolls and the contents of the menu looked fantastic.  i decided to go for an Australian theme so I had Crocodile fillet seared in vine leaves with a plum sauce, followed by kangaroo marinated in zhug with water spinach and choi.

Between myself and my family we had wildebeast, zebra, ostrich, duck, crocodile, crickets, locusts and probably some other delights I can't remember.  However the deserts are what I was really excited by, especially when I saw something with rose was on the menu as I am a sucker for floral flavours.

The desert menus were printed in old hard back books, with a wax stamp over the page, a really fun quirky touch I thought.


Although none of my family had formally requested the wonderful waitress had got wind of the fact it as my birthday, so my desert came a top with a sparkler!....As it was bought out my family begun the embarrassing sound of an attempted "Happppyyyy Biiiirthday" I hushed them up before it had begun, however the very jovial (and slightly inebriated) table behind of 20 strong saw my horror at a public happy birthday and thought it would be great to start it up again.  It ended up that the whole restaurant sang it, I blushed a lot but it was a lovely place with lovely people and added to the atmosphere and fun.


I ordered a rose water brulee with lemon and lime tuille and a baby bee.  Yes it was actually a baby bee.  The brulee was amazing, light, sweet and flowery and the honey comb the bee was served on was in fact white chocolate moulded around what I think was probably bubble wrap to give that effect.  The lemon and lime tuille cut through the sweet softness of the chocolate and the bee? Well, you'll have to ask my boyfriend, insect eater extraordinaire.

My boyfriend, Tom also ordered an ominous sounding 'visit from the doctor' on the deserts menu...We were not entirely sure what this involved but it sounded fun.  We were right, it was a lot of fun!  Our waiteress appeared with a medicine box full of an array of different 'medicines' ready to repair any ailments of the patient.


She thought best to prescribe him something rather strong....She poured it out...


Two shots of...python absinthe...


Better him than me!  It was a wonderful evening and a brilliant meal made wonderful by exciting food and attentive,  fun service.  I'll be back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment